Naked Run Protest – level 1
Ferdinand Marcos is a dictator. He is in the Philippines. He is in power for 20 years. He does some bad things. People criticise him for this.
Ferdinand Marcos is now dead. People want to bury him at the Heroes’ Cemetery.
Some people do not like this. They say that he is no hero. Some of these people are students. The students run naked. This is a form of protest.
Difficult words: bury (put in the ground), hero (somebody who does something good for other people), cemetery (a place for dead people).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos