NASA’s first asteroid lands in Utah – level 2
Last Sunday, something amazing happened in Utah, US. A capsule, which carried the biggest sample of soil ever taken from the surface of an asteroid, landed safely in the Utah desert.
A spaceship called OSIRIS-Rex released the capsule from around 107,000 kilometers away from Earth. The capsule then made a journey through the Earth’s sky. After this, the capsule landed safely in a place used by the US military for testing and training.
The landing was the result of a six-year effort by NASA and the University of Arizona working together. This was only the third time we got a piece of an asteroid on Earth, and this one was the largest. Japan’s space agency did similar missions in 2010 and 2020, but this one from NASA and the University of Arizona was much bigger.
Before the landing, there was a moment of worry because scientists weren’t sure if an earlier parachute worked correctly. Fortunately, the main parachute opened as planned, and the capsule landed smoothly.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the significance of OSIRIS-Rex's mission for the future of space exploration?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.