New drug for Alzheimer’s – level 1
The company Biogen makes a new drug. The drug is for Alzheimer’s disease. It helps stop the things in the body which start the disease. The US government says that it is OK to give this drug to people.
Over 6 million people in the US have Alzheimer’s disease. Some people are happy about this drug. Other people say that scientists need to study the drug more. They need to know if it is safe.
The price of the drug is $56,000 per year for one person. Biogen can make a lot of money. People hope that scientists can make more drugs like this drug. Competition can make the price go down.
Difficult words: drug (a medication), Alzheimer’s disease (a disease which makes your brain change and work not as well), like (similar to), competition (when there are more things which you can buy which makes prices smaller).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos