New Phone Boxes – level 3
Britain’s red phone boxes might not be used for their original purpose anymore in an age of smartphones, but one company is giving the famous booths a makeover as small offices.
Pod Works is hoping to lure people from coffee shops to work on their laptops in its revamped booths, which while not for the claustrophobic, boast Wi-Fi, plug sockets, a phone, a printer, a scanner and free coffee and tea.
“We thought it was a good idea to re-purpose these and take them into the 21st century. The sheer volume of tourists that come and stand by the box and take selfies and photographs indicates just how iconic and important they are.”
Once dotting British cities, towns, and villages, the iconic red phone boxes dwindled in numbers over the years.
Pod Works launches its first work station in London’s Russell Square this month and it is opening others across the capital soon. It plans to expand to other cities in October.
Difficult words: booth (a small space which allows privacy for telephoning, for example), lure (attract), revamped (renovated), sheer (big), dot (being placed over an area), dwindle (become fewer).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos