New President of the Philippines – level 2
Rodrigo Duterte won the presidential election in the Philippines. He received 15.6 million votes, far outweighing his nearest rival’s 9.5 million votes. Who is the man that took the nation by storm?
He was born in 1945 to a family closely linked to local politics. He trained as a lawyer and became a vice mayor and then mayor of Davao. His supporters say that during his time in office, he reduced crime, corruption, and militancy.
Critics, however, slammed some of his comments, including offensive remarks about the Pope and threats to kill thousands of criminals without trial.
Difficult words: militancy (warring people), slam (to criticise a lot), offensive (rude, hurtful, shocking), remark (a comment).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.