New York Bans Plastic Bags – level 1
The New York state bans plastic bags in shops. The ban starts on April 1. Shops can sell paper bags to customers. Now all shops must prepare for the change. They must pay money if they break the law.
Officials say that there are too many plastic bags. The number of plastic bags is going up. It is important to reduce the number of plastic bags. In New York, people use more than 23 billion plastic bags every year. It is very bad for the environment.
Some shops can use plastic bags in the future. They can use them to pack meat. Restaurants can also use plastic bags for takeout food.
Difficult words: ban (to stop something officially), reduce (to make something smaller in size or number), takeout food (a meal that people buy in a restaurant and they take it away).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos