New York subway shooting – level 1
It is Tuesday morning. People are traveling to work. An attack happens on a New York City subway.
One man has a gas mask on his face. He detonates two smoke grenades. When the grenades explode, the carriage is full of black smoke. The man starts to shoot. He kills ten people. More than 20 people are hurt.
Other people want to get out of the train. Sadly, the doors are locked. When the train stops, people start to run away.
Police look for the killer. They think that he can be a 62-year-old man. Officials say that it is important to change the gun laws in the US. Similar attacks must stop.
Difficult words: subway (an underground train), detonate (to make something explode), smoke grenade (a bomb which produces a lot of smoke when it explodes).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos