New Zealand hostel fire – level 1
A big fire is in a building called Loafers Lodge in Wellington, New Zealand.
The fire starts late at night. Firefighters save lots of people. But some people die. Some people are still missing. Nobody knows what starts the fire. It is possible that someone does it deliberately. The building has dangerous material called asbestos inside. It can hurt people. They have to wear masks and keep their windows closed. Lots of people who stay at Loafers Lodge do not have a home. Some of them are nurses or hospital workers.
The government says that many people in New Zealand do not have a good place to live.
Difficult words: deliberately (with a plan of doing something), asbestos (a material which can stand the heat), nurse (a person who cares for sick people).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What steps can the New Zealand government take to ensure safe housing for those without a home?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos