New Zealand Volcano – level 1
On Monday, a volcano erupts in New Zealand. There are 47 people near the volcano when it erupts. 8 people die. Many people have serious burns on their skin.
Rescuers want to find the dead bodies. They want to get them back to their families. However, it is very dangerous to recover the bodies. Scientists worry that the volcano can erupt again soon. The danger is very high. The rescuers must think carefully about their work. They must consider the situation on the island and the weather, too.
Difficult words: erupt (to become active and produce gas and lava), recover (to get back), consider (to think about something a lot).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos