News from the American city of Ferguson – level 2
A policeman shot dead a black teenager in the American city of Ferguson. The court found the policeman not guilty. This started riots and looting in the city.
People saw the houses and businesses on fire and they were afraid. They wanted to protect themselves, so they wanted to buy guns. Gun shop owners now say that there is a sharp rise in their sales. People come in their shops with fear in their eyes and sorrow in their faces.
Difficult words: riot (a violent protest), loot (to steal things during a riot), sorrow (sadness).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think of the situation in Ferguson?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos