Niagara Falls Freeze – level 1
The Niagara Falls is a popular attraction for tourists. It is a group of three waterfalls between Canada and the US. They are more than 50 meters high.
The falls freeze in December. People can see thick ice on the top of the falls. It seems that the water does not move. It is not possible. The river is very strong. There is so much water that it can never freeze. Water still flows under the ice.
The falls freeze only once. Ice from Lake Eerie stops the river and it freezes. It cannot happen today. A special steel construction stops the ice. It does not get in the river.
Difficult words: attraction (a place or thing which people like to see), waterfall (a place where a river falls down over a cliff), steel (a very hard building material).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos