Nigeria explosion – level 1
An oil refinery is a place where people make petrol and oil from crude oil. Many illegal oil refineries are in Nigeria. Many people work at these refineries. Nigeria does not have a lot of work.
Workers steal crude oil from official pipes. They clean the oil. They work in the bush in the Niger Delta.
Workers camp in the bush for many weeks. They work at night. Then, they sell the oil on the black market. It makes the water and air very dirty. It is very dangerous work.
Last Friday, one illegal oil refinery explodes. More than 100 people die. Their bodies burn. Their families can’t recognize them.
Difficult words: crude oil (a thick black substance which comes from the ground), black market (business with things which people can’t sell or buy officially), recognize (to be able to tell what or who something is).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.