No rain and no food in Madagascar – level 1
Many people think that Madagascar is a beautiful island with green forests and many different animals. That is the past. Now, Madagascar has many problems.
People in southern Madagascar cut down almost all of the trees. The trees stop strong winds. Now, people cannot put seeds in the ground. Winds blow the seeds away.
Another problem is no rain falls for many years. It happens because of climate change.
More than a million people need help. Scientists say that the situation will be even worse. There will be famine. Famine is the situation when very many people have nothing to eat. Madagascar can be the first country where famine happens because of climate change.
Difficult words: cut down (to cut trees, and they fall to the ground), seed (the part of a plant from which a new plant grows), climate change (big changes in weather, which happen because the planet is getting warmer).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos