No referendum for Scotland – level 1
Last week, the UK government stops a referendum. It is for Scotland’s independence.
In 2014, Scottish people vote in a referendum. They decide that they want to be in the UK. Later, Scotland votes against Brexit. Then, Brexit happens. The Scottish people are sad and angry.
Next, Nicola Sturgeon becomes Scotland’s leader. She wants another referendum. The court says no. First, the whole UK government must agree.
The UK Prime Minister does not want a referendum. He wants Scotland to be part of the UK. He is happy. His country has many problems now. He doesn’t want a new problem.
Difficult words: referendum (when all the people of a country vote to change something), independence (not under control of someone or something else), prime minister (the leader of a type of a government with several parts).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.