North and South Korean families meet – level 2
The 1950 to 1953 Korean War separated many Korean families. Members of those families could not communicate with each other, and they did not even know if their family was alive.
For the first time in 60 years, South and North Korea agreed to hold reunions. About 400 South Koreans travelled to the border to meet 96 of their North Korean family members.
South Korean families were told to avoid a long list of topics, including the North’s political situation or living standards. They were even given a guidebook on what to talk about.
Difficult words: separate (to break into pieces), reunion (an event when people meet after a long time), avoid (if you avoid something, you do not talk about it).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this reunion?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.