Notre Dame Still Stands – level 1
In France, a fire happens at the Notre Dame Cathedral. The fire is an accident. It starts up by a tower. It comes down through the ceiling.
Firefighters save a lot of the small works of art. An official tells them what works are important.
Even though there is a fire, the building does not fall. Its structure still stands. Its two towers in the front still stand. A French official says that people are lucky.
People can see if the building is stable. Then they can save the bigger works of art. They can fix the art.
Difficult words: official (someone who works for an important organisation of a country), structure (the ‘body’ of a building), stable (stay standing without falling over).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos