Notting Hill Carnival – level 3
Notting Hill is a district in North-west London and the place of the annual Notting Hill Carnival. It is Europe’s biggest street party and the second biggest carnival in the world.
It began in the ‘60s with only a few hundred attendees, but it has grown into a massive party. This year’s carnival was the 50th, and an estimated two million people came. The weather was nice and everybody had a good time.
However, there were also 9,000 people who were there to work – police officers. Some of them were involved in the fun, but they were there to keep people safe. One policewoman explained that they were trialling a face recognition technology there, which would identify people who should not be at the carnival.
Difficult words: annual (happening every year), attendee (somebody who attends/is at an event), estimated (guessed, not counted one by one), trial (test something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos