Obama stops his speech – level 2
Barack Obama gave a speech and a heckler interrupted him. The man shouted, “Freedom for Ethiopia!”.
The president stopped his speech and reacted to the man. He said that he agreed with him and that they could talk about it later. Obama’s, “You kind of screwed up my ending, but that’s okay,” made the audience laugh.
The man, who is a freedom activist, later gave out copies of a letter he wrote to the president. The man wants to help the people of Ethiopia.
Difficult words: heckler (somebody who interrupts you), interrupt (start speaking or doing something when somebody’s speaking), Obama’s (Obama said the following words), screw up (ruin).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Has anybody ever interrupted your speech?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.