Oil in the sea – level 1
A pipeline is a long pipe that moves oil. A pipeline moves oil in the Gulf of Paria, Trinidad, and Tobago. An accident happens in early August. The pipeline starts to leak.
There are hundreds of oil spills in the sea. An oil company sends a big boat there. The boat makes circles in the oil. The oil goes to the bottom of the sea.
Local fishermen are very angry. They say that the oil company must clean the sea.
Many different animals and plants are in the sea. Oil is very dangerous for them. It makes bad changes on the food chain. People can have big health problems if they eat the fish.
Difficult words: leak (to come out through a hole or crack), oil spill (when oil gets into the sea or the ground), food chain (when an animal eats something, and then another animal eats the animal and so on).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos