Old lady is robbed – level 2
A 71-year-old woman in England was shopping. She was slowly moving along the shelves in her electric wheelchair.
The pensioner’s carer left her unattended for a moment. A woman in a pink jumper took advantage of this and searched through the old lady’s bag at the back of the wheelchair. She stole the old woman’s purse with more than £100.
The woman in pink then gave the purse to a man in a dark jacket, and they made their way to the exit. A security camera filmed everything. Police would like to speak to anyone who was in the shop at that time or who knows the criminals.
Difficult words: pensioner (an old person who does not walk anymore), unattended (alone), take advantage of something (to use a situation to do what you want).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
How would you punish the thief?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.