Old man is hit by a train – level 3
This CCTV footage shows the shocking moment a pensioner was hit by a speeding train.
The 77-year-old can be seen walking through a level crossing in a village in the Czech Republic. Unaware of the approaching train the man is thrown to the ground, sending his shoe flying.
The bizarrely uninjured man is then seen getting up and hobbling away. Local police have said the man had only minor injuries but will face a fine of about £100 over the incident.
Difficult words: pensioner (person who does not work anymore and receives money from the government), bizarrely (strangely), hobble (to walk with difficulty), fine (money that you have to pay as a punishment).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.