Old Woman Learns to Read – level 1
This news is about a girl. Her name is Ursula. She goes to school. She does not learn to read. This is in the 1940s.
Ursula has ill parents. She must look after them. She has no time to learn to read.
Ursula is an old woman now. She is 84 years old. She is sad that she cannot read. She wants to read the papers and books like other people. She starts to learn to read. She inspires other people to read, too.
Difficult words: look after (help), inspire (motivate, help, make do something good).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos