Orangutan in Florida – level 3
Scenes from inside an animal theme park in Florida as an orangutan escapes from its enclosure. The female, called Luna, managed to break out of her habitat at Busch Gardens in Tampa Bay and started climbing trees just yards (metres) from visitors. At one point, she dropped to the floor and sat on a display board prompting screams from some of those standing nearby.
Eighteen-year-old Luna had to be tranquillised so keepers could recapture her safely and place her back in her enclosure. While this was happening, the park evacuated visitors.
Busch Gardens later released a statement saying the safety of our guests, employees and animals is our number one priority.
It’s not yet emerged how Luna managed to get out of her habitat. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission is understood to be carrying out an investigation.
Difficult words: enclosure (a closed in area with a fence or walls for an animal to live inside), habitat (where an animal lives), prompt (cause), tranquillise (something which makes you sleep), emerge (become known).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.