Orange Snow – level 2
Every year, winds from Africa bring dust and sand from the Sahara Desert to Europe. It is nothing unusual, but this year is different because the wind is very strong.
Last weekend, people across many parts of Europe could enjoy an amazing view. Skies in Switzerland and other countries turned orange. There was so much dust in the air that it covered the snow and it seemed that the snow was orange. Skiers in the Swiss Alps were excited and they enjoyed skiing in orange snow.
The dust made the air in Europe very dirty, but scientists said that it was not dangerous for people. The specks of dust were really big and people could not breathe them in.
Difficult words: dust (small pieces of Earth or something else which are in the air or on things), desert (a large area where the weather is hot and dry, and a lot of sand is there), speck (one piece of dust).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.