Ottawa shooting – level 1
This happens in Ottawa. Ottawa is a city in Canada. A man shoots a soldier. The soldier dies. The man then runs into the Parliament building.
Police get inside the building. The police and the man shoot at each other. The police shoot the man dead.
A series of shootings happened in Ottawa. Police look for the suspects.
Difficult words: at each other (the police shoot at the man and the man shoots at the police), shooting (a situation when somebody shoots at people), suspect (a person who is possibly a criminal).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think of this incident?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.