Panama Sends Politician Back – level 1
There is a leader of a Mexican state. The police say that he does something wrong. They say that he sells land for very cheap. The land belongs to the state. He receives corruption charges.
The leader runs away to Panama. This makes him a fugitive. He goes to court there. He says that the charges are not true. He stays for six months in custody. Then Panama sends him back to Mexico.
Difficult words: corruption charge (when the police say that a person took money for doing something illegal), fugitive (a person who runs away from the police), in custody (stay in jail while court happens).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.