Panda holds a keeper’s leg – level 2
The following happened at a research centre in China. A keeper was leaving an enclosure with two pandas inside. Just as he tried to close the gate, one cute little panda took his leg and did not let go. A camera filmed the moment.
There are more than 1,600 wild pandas in the world and another 370 pandas at zoos and other centres. The centre in China tries to protect these endangered species.
Difficult words: research centre (centre which studies and helps things such as animals or people), enclosure (area which is surrounded by a barrier), endangered species (animals which may die out soon).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Does the video make you feel good or does it make you feel sorry for the panda?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.