Panda in Washington – level 2
Five months ago, a panda was born in Washington’s National Zoo. Zookepers closed the panda exhibit to give the mother and her baby time to bond.
The little panda’s name is “Bei Bei” which means “precious treasure” in Mandarin Chinese.
The public got to see the young for the first time. Some zoo-goers were really excited and you could hear them cheering when the doors opened. The cute panda was something like a rock star.
Difficult words: exhibit (a space where an animal lives in a place like a zoo), bond (to form a relationship – to love each other), precious (very important), treasure (a much loved person/animal).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos