Panda’s first birthday – level 2
A panda from Taiwan celebrated her first birthday. She had a traditional birthday celebration of “drawing lots”.
People hung eight bamboo tubes. There was a name on each tube. The panda chose her favourite one. Each tube represented an animal species. The panda will be used as a spokesperson for the species that she chose.
She was also given a special birthday cake which was made from her favourite foods. They were bamboo, apples, carrots and pineapples. According to the zoo, the panda attracted more than 1.6 million visitors since she was born.
Difficult words: drawing lots (making a decision by choosing a piece of wood or a stone), species (animal kind), spokesperson (somebody who speaks for a group).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you have a pet? Do you celebrate their birthdays?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.