Paper plane championship – level 2
People held the world paper aeroplane championships in Austria. The event settled three 2015 titles. The titles were for the furthest throw, most aerobatic flight, and the aircraft which flew for the longest time.
Around 46,000 people around the world entered the championships, but five hundred qualifying contests narrowed them to just 200.
The furthest throw was an amazing 53.22 metres. The longest flight was 14.36 seconds long.
Difficult words: championship (an event at which a champion in a sport is found – a person who is the best at the sport), settle (to set), qualifying contest (an event at which people who can come to the final event are chosen).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you like to make paper planes?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.