Paris e-scooters ban – level 1
In 2018, people in Paris, France, start using e-scooters. Paris is one of the first cities which has e-scooters.
Three companies operate e-scooters in Paris. E-scooters have a battery for power. They can go at 27 kilometers per hour. Users can hire them through a phone app. But the number of accidents which involve e-scooters is growing. Some riders do not wear a helmet. They ride among cars. They leave the scooters in parks or on roads.
A referendum takes place last week. 90% of people vote against e-scooters. They say that e-scooters are dangerous. But the result has no legal power. Only 8% of all voters come and vote. Officials can decide themselves what to do.
Difficult words: operate (to make something work or be in action), hire (to pay money to be able to use something), referendum (a vote in which all the people in a country or area give their opinion on something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is the current status of e-scooters in Paris, France?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.