People burn buses – level 2
Some people from the Brazilian city of Goiania were not happy about the city’s transportation services. They demanded better transportation by protesting and burning buses.
The bus company Metrobus said that at least six of its buses were completely burnt out. Vandals damaged nine other vehicles. It’s estimated that the damage could reach more than 2 million dollars.
A highway patrol officer described the attack as repulsive.
Difficult words: demand (to want something), estimate (to guess the amount of something), repulsive (extremely unpleasant, in a way that almost makes you feel sick).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this protest?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.