People Eat Less Chocolate – level 1
Farmers in some African countries grow cocoa beans. They sell the beans to European and US buyers. People make chocolate from cocoa beans.
People are eating less chocolate now. It means that buyers buy fewer beans. It brings big problems for African farmers.
The Ivory Coast is one of the biggest producers of cocoa beans in the world. Farmers grow a lot of beans. Buyers do not buy the beans. Farmers cannot sell more than 100,000 tons off beans. They lose a lot of money. They need money for their crops. They must pay for school for their children.
Maybe it is good that people eat less chocolate. It is still bad for African farmers.
Difficult words: buyer (a person or company who buys something), producer (a person or company that makes something that other people buy), crop (a plant which farmers grow).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos