People help a flamingo – level 3
A flamingo at a Brazilian zoo is learning to get around on a new prosthetic leg. The bird was given the specially made prosthesis after a fracture of the left leg. The bottom portion of the limb needed to be amputated to stop it getting infected.
Although he still limps a little, the zookeepers say the Chilean flamingo is becoming more comfortable with the new body part. In fact, he’s already mastered the curious flamingo speciality of standing on one foot while tucking the prosthetic leg up tight under his body.
Once the bird has mastered walking properly, he will be reintroduced to his group on the zoo grounds.
The lightweight 18 centimetre prosthesis is made of carbon fibre with silicon ends where the prosthetic is attached to the remaining part of the bird’s leg.
The leg was made by a local orthopaedics office located just west of the city of Sao Paulo.
Difficult words: prosthetic (not natural, made by man), limb (an arm or leg), limp (to walk with difficulty), master (to become very good at something), curious (strange), tuck (to put something into a small space), orthopaedics (the part of medicine which treat injuries of bones and muscles).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.