People help a man – level 1
A man is at a train platform. He wants to get on a train, but he slips. He falls down. His leg is between the train and the platform. This is a dangerous situation.
People want to help him. People on the train move to one side of it. They want to move the weight of the train away from him. Sadly, this plan does not work.
Everybody gets out of the train. People push it. They give the man more space and save him. He is OK.
Difficult words: platform (area from which you get on the train), slip (moment when you cannot control your body and you fall), weight (how heavy something is).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you commute?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.