People in Assam, India – level 1
In 1971, many people from Bangladesh go to India. Some of them come to Assam. This is an Indian state. The Bangladeshis are mostly Muslim.
Around 31 million people live in Assam. India is registering all people in Assam. However, not everyone can be registered. If you come to India in 1971 or later, you cannot be registered. Two million people are not on the list.
Some people are afraid that the registering is to identify the people from Bangladesh. They are afraid that people will send them away from India, put them in prison, or persecute them.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.