People in North Korea must not laugh – level 1
Kim Jong-il is the leader of North Korea between the years 1994 – 2011. He dies in 2011. Kim Jong-un is his son. He is the leader of the country now.
Pyongyang is the capital city of North Korea. A special ceremony happens in Pyongyang last week. It is 10 years after Kim Jong-il’s death.
Many officials meet in front of the Sun mausoleum. The dead bodies of Kim Jong-un’s father and grandfather are in the mausoleum.
People must not do many things for 11 days. They must not drink alcohol, celebrate their birthdays, or enjoy free time activities. They must not even laugh. If they break the rules, they can go to prison.
Difficult words: ceremony (a special event during which people celebrate something), death (when somebody dies), mausoleum (a building that holds the dead bodies of important people).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos