People leave tents in fields – level 1
Reading Festival happens last weekend. It is one of the biggest music festivals in England. Thousands of people visit it every year.
Around 100,000 people visit the festival this year. When they leave, the fields are full of rubbish. There are plastic cups, underwear, and other things. Also there are empty tents. The tents are a big problem. It is not possible to recycle them. They end up in landfills where they stay 100,000 years.
A report says that people in the UK leave around 250,000 tents every year. Many shops sell tents as single-use items. Single-use means that people use them only once and then throw them away.
Difficult words: rubbish (things which people do not want anymore, and they throw them away), recycle (to change something to use it again or make it into something else), landfill (a deep hole where people put things which they do not want or use).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.