People leave the Republican Party – level 1
Republicans are a group in politics in the USA. Ted Cruz, John Kasich, and Donald Trump are Republicans. They want to be the next president of the USA. The Republican Party must choose one presidential candidate.
Trump is doing better than Cruz and Kasich. Cruz and Kasich stop their campaigns. Trump becomes the candidate if they stop their campaigns completely.
People are not happy about this. They do not want Trump to be the candidate. They protest. They leave the Republican Party. They burn their Republican Party membership cards.
Difficult words: candidate (a person who people choose to try to become the president), campaign (to try to run to get a job in power), continue (if you continue to do something, you do not stop doing it), membership card (a card which says that you are a member of a group).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.