People look for diamonds – level 1
A man from South Africa finds special stones in a field. The stones look like crystals. The man thinks that the stones are diamonds.
The man speaks to other people in his village. More than a thousand people run to the field. They look for the stones. They hope that they will find them. They want to be rich. They say that crime will stop.
Authorities worry about the situation. Some people start selling the stones. Nobody knows if they are diamonds. Experts must come and study the stones.
Difficult words: crystal (a piece of stone or metal which looks as if people make it but nature makes it), rich (when somebody has a lot of money), crime (something that is very bad and against the rules).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos