People swim in icy river – level 1
360 people swim in the icy Vltava River in Prague, Czech Republic. This event happens every winter. This year, people remember Alfred Nikodem.
Alfred Nikodem is a Czech goldsmith. He is a hardy man. He likes to swim in cold weather.
He first swims in the Vltava River in winter 1923. A few friends swim with him. More than 50 people swim five years later. The number gets bigger every year.
The water is very cold this year. It is three to four degrees Celsius. Swimmers swim 100, 300, or 750 meters. The fastest swimmer swims 750 meters in 9 minutes and 11 seconds.
Difficult words: event (a thing which happens or takes place), goldsmith (a person who makes things from gold), hardy (very strong and brave).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos