People swim in icy river – level 3
Hundreds of hardy swimmers braved the freezing waters of the Vltava River in Prague, Czech Republic, in honor of winter swimming pioneer and promoter of the Spartan lifestyle, Alfred Nikodem.
It was the 75th swim of the annual event, and 360 participants from eight different countries, including Poland, the US, and England, were in the 100, 300, and 750-meter distance categories. The air temperature was minus six degrees Celsius, and the water temperature was between three to four degrees, the lowest temperature in many years.
Alfred Nikodem was a well-known Prague goldsmith and founder of the winter swimming in the Czech country, and he braved the cold waters in Prague with a few friends in 1923. Five years later, more than 50 people swam with him, and since then, the tradition has stayed alive every year.
Difficult words: pioneer (one of the first people to study or develop something), promoter (one of the first people to tell others about something), Spartan (like of the ancient Spartans who were famous for being brave, serious, and highly disciplined).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos