People throw away food – level 1
People throw away a lot of food. The United Nations (UN) says that people throw away 930 million tons of food in 2019.
Households throw away about a half of this food. Stores, restaurants, schools, or hospitals throw away the other half. The UN wants to know where the problem is.
The problem is everywhere. Farmers throw away crops. The UN finds out that 14% of food does not get to stores. People want to buy only nice fruit and vegetables. Not all fruit and vegetables look nice.
People buy too much food, too. They do not eat it all. They throw it away.
The Problem with food is not only in rich countries. Recent reports say that the numbers for 2020 will be much worse than the numbers from 2019.
Difficult words: household (people who live in one house or flat or apartment), crop (a plant that farmers grow), recent (something that happens a little while ago).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos