People throw black pudding – level 1
A competition takes place in England. This competition is over 100 years old. It is quite popular.
People throw black puddings at this competition. They try to hit a target. Black pudding is from Scotland. It is made of pig’s blood and fat. Not everybody likes it. Some people hate it.
The winner is a 63 year-old man. He is happy to win.
Difficult words: competition (situation when you try to be better at something than other people), take place (happen), blood (the red “water” inside the body).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Would you like to try black pudding?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos