Plane crashed in Taipei – level 3
This amateur video shot from the dashboard of a car recorded the moment the TransAsia plane clipped an overpass with its wing and crashed into a river in Taipei.
At least 19 people have been killed after the passenger jet crashed minutes after take-off.
The TransAsia ATR 72-600 plane with 58 people on board was on a domestic flight when it hit a road bridge in the capital of Taiwan.
The moment of impact was captured on this passing driver’s dashcam and shows the aircraft’s wing clipping a taxi before it disappears out view.
The plane also appears to miss apartment buildings by metres.
The footage shows a van skidding to a halt on the damaged overpass after barely missing the plane’s wing with small pieces of the aircraft scattered along the road.
Taiwan Civil Aeronautics administration said 19 people were confirmed dead, fifteen were injured and 24 still missing.
Difficult words: dashboard (the area in front of the driver in a car), clip (to hit), overpass (a road above the ground), domestic (inside of a country), impact (the moment when two things hit), dashcam (dashboard camera), footage (video), skid (to slide), halt (to stop), scatter (to spread).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos