Plane on fire – level 3
“Speedboat 227 heavy, we are evacuating the runway. We have a fire. Repeat, we are evacuating.”
The distressed call made by the captain of this plane as everyone on board had to evacuate to escape the flames. All 172 people on board a British Airways flight taxiing on the runway at Las Vegas Airport had to evacuate the plane on emergency slides.
Fourteen people on board the London-bound flight were taken to hospital. Most of them sustained minor injuries while sliding down the inflatable chutes. A U.S Federal Aviation Administration spokesman said the left engine of the Boeing 777200 caught fire before take-off. The plane was seen engulfed in flames and smoke.
In a statement, British Airways said, ‘The aircraft experienced a technical issue as it was preparing to take off.’
The fire was later put out in a dangerous incident that thankfully wasn’t a lot worse.
Difficult words: taxi (to drive slowly before taking off), –bound (going to the place), minor (small), chute (a slide), aviation (relating to aeroplanes), engulfed (surrounded by, covered in).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.