Poaching in South Africa – level 2
In South Africa, rhino poaching is a growing problem. This year, people killed more than 1,500 rhinos. That is four every day. If this continues, there will be no more rhinos or even African elephants in 25 years. This is because people want the horns from the rhinos and the elephants.
One of the people who is trying to help rhinos is Prince Harry. He worked with South Africa’s conservation experts this summer.
Recently, he met with rangers at the Kruger National Park in South Africa. He wants to raise concerns over the illegal trade of rhino horns.
Difficult words: poaching (the illegal killing of a wild animal), conservation (the action of conserving – saving something), raise concerns (to make people think about something).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you think that it is nice that Prince Harry is trying to help the rhinos?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos