Police Come to a Temple – level 3
In hopes of detaining its chief who faces criminal charges, Thai police raided the temple, or headquarters, of a controversial Buddhist temple sect.
It is unclear whether the 72-year-old was inside the temple. He has not been seen in months, and he is accused of accepting $40 million in embezzled money.
A Thai law complicated the raids, which forbids the arrest of a monk in his robes. Around 3,000 police officers came to the temple which they then declared a ‘restricted area’.
Difficult words: headquarters (the main buildings of an organisation), embezzled (stolen), robes (the clothing that a religious person wears).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.