Police Dogs Retire – level 2
In Quito, Ecuador’s capital, the police held a retirement ceremony for their dogs. Officers gave the dogs medals to recognise them for their service.
The director for dog training said that the police was saying goodbye to 621 canine police officers and to 7 that died. He added that the dogs worked in many areas, such as stopping drug trafficking, keeping order, going to public events, helping with search and rescue, and providing therapy.
The dogs that retired will now be living with families as pets.
Difficult words: retirement ceremony (a special event when you thank and say goodbye to someone who is too old to work), recognise (appreciate), canine (relating to dogs).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos