Police Kill a Man – level 3
A man was on his way home from community college when police shot him. Terence Crutcher did not have a weapon and he was cooperating with the officers. He died anyway.
The forty-year-old father-of-two’s car had broken down in the road. Police were responding to reports of an abandoned vehicle. Officers say that he was not listening to all of their commands, but video footage tells a different story.
After being tased and fatally shot, he died in hospital. Now, the African-American’s twin sister is demanding justice. She is requesting a peaceful protest and she wants her family’s voice to be heard.
The officer who fired the shot is now on paid leave pending an investigation.
Difficult words: community college (a college which offers higher education for people in the area), abandoned (not used, left somewhere), demand (want), pending (about to happen).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos